Editor's Picks Sports

North Dakota Game and Fish Report

CRP Enrollment Open
The U.S. Department of Agriculture is accepting applications for certain practices under the continuous Conservation Reserve Program. Eligible farmers, ranchers and private landowners can sign up at their local USDA Farm Service Agency offices.
Practices eligible for enrollment include grassed waterways, filter strips, riparian buffers and wetland restoration. The Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program, an offshoot of CRP, is also open for enrollment.
Continuous signup enrollment contracts are for 10 to 15 years, with soil rental rates set at 90 percent of the existing rate. Incentive rates are not offered.
Kevin Kading, North Dakota Game and Fish Department private land section leader, said landowners interested in these programs could also qualify for additional financial incentives and cost-share from Game and Fish.
“Anyone who’s interested in seeing how Game and Fish can help add to these practices, can contact a private land biologist in their area,” Kading said.
Bismarck – Levi Jacobson – 527-3764 (Burleigh, Emmons, Kidder, Morton, Oliver)
Devils Lake – Andrew Ahrens – 204-5227 (Bottineau, Cavalier, Grand Forks, Nelson, Pembina, Ramsey, Rolette, Towner, Walsh)
Dickinson – Jaden Honeyman – 260-3546 (Adams, Grant, Hettinger, Sioux)
Dickinson – Curtis Francis – 227-7431 (Billings, Bowman, Golden Valley, Slope, Stark)
Harvey – Terry Oswald, Jr., – 399-9958 (Benson, Eddy, Foster, Pierce, Sheridan, Wells)
Jamestown – Renae Heinle, Jamestown – 320-4695 (Barnes, Cass, Dickey, Griggs, LaMoure, Logan, McIntosh, Ransom, Richland, Sargent, Steele, Stutsman, Traill)
Riverdale – Ryan Huber – 527-8963 (Dunn, McHenry, McLean, Mercer, Renville, Ward)
Williston – Todd Buckley – 770-3815 (Burke, Divide, McKenzie, Mountrail, Williams)

Traveling Boaters Take Note of ANS Regulations
North Dakota boaters who are traveling to or through other states or Canadian provinces, are reminded to check the aquatic nuisance species regulations of their destination, to make sure they are in compliance.
Mandatory boat inspections may be required along highways or at lakes based on destination or route taken. In general, to ensure compliance, boaters are encouraged to clean, drain and dry equipment.
• Clean: remove plants, animals and excessive mud from trailers, hulls, motors and other equipment such as fishing rods.
• Drain: drain all water, including bilges, livewells and bait buckets.
• Dry: allow all equipment to dry completely, as an inspection might be failed in a neighboring state if any standing water is present. If necessary, use sponges or towels to remove excess water and leave compartments open to dry.
More information on bordering state and provincial ANS regulations is available at the following web addresses.
• South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks at sdleastwanted.com
• Minnesota Department of Natural Resources at www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/ais/index.html
• Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks at cleandraindry.mt.gov/
• Saskatchewan Ministry of Environment at www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/environment-public-health-and-safety/wildlife-issues/invasive-species/aquatic-invasive-species-prevention-program
• Manitoba Department of Sustainable Development at www.gov.mb.ca/sd/waterstewardship/stopais/index.html

Hunting Guide and Outfitter Exam Scheduled
The next guide and outfitter written examination is Aug. 17 at 1 p.m. at the North Dakota Game and Fish Department office in Bismarck. The test is given periodically to anyone interested in becoming a hunting guide or outfitter in the state.
In addition to passing a written exam, qualifications for becoming a guide include a background check for criminal and game and fish violations; certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation and standard first aid; and employment by or contract with a licensed hunting outfitter.
Hunting outfitter eligibility requirements include the guide qualifications, as well as an individual must have held a hunting guide license for two years; and must have proof of liability insurance.
Interested individuals are required to preregister by calling the Game and Fish Department’s enforcement office at 328-6604.